Rogers Point Boating Association
190 River Road, Hyde Park,NY 12538
p 845-229-2236 f 845-698-0274
"Rogers Point is named after Colonel Archibald Rogers, who was the original developer of the point. Born in 1852, he was raised in Hyde Park in a modest home on Main Street. He attended Yale University and in 1880 had the good sense to marry an extremely wealthy woman from Pennsylvania, Anne Coleman. Starting in 1883, he pieced together a dozen farms into an 899 acre estate, which he called Crumwold.
Rogers joined the Seawanhaka Yacht Club of Oyster Bay, Long Island in 1881 and in 1883 began building docks at Rogers Point so that he could sail up the Hudson in his 70 foot cutter, "Bedouin," to his growing estate. "Bedouin" won several races, but also suffered a near-disaster when her mast buckled.
Starting in about 1902, Colonel Rogers joined the Hudson River Ice Yacht Club and made his boathouse available to other members. An ice yacht looks like a giant ice skate with a sail. In Col. Rogers' time, before large ice breakers kepi the river open for shipping in the winter, the river would usually freeze solid shore to shore. Ice yachtsmen could actually race railroad trains on the east shore of the Hudson. Colonel Rogers and others would race the "Empire State Express" and, invariably, the ice yacht would be the winner, to the delight of the train passengers.
Coat Guard Headquarters during WWII:
"Whenever Pres. Roosevelt was in Hyde Park, a Coast Guard cutter (actually John Hay "Jock" Whitney's old yacht, the "Aphrodite", which had been converted to military use) would patrol the Hudson River from a point 10 miles south of the President's property up to Rhinecliff, which was about 10 miles north of Hyde Park. During these times, the cutter would use the dock at Rogers Point, which of course, was part of "Camp Rogers". When the President wasn't around the cutter patrolled New York Harbor."
In March of 1953, some 60 people gathered in Hyde Park's Town Hall to form
a boating club. The organizers of the meeting were Vic Blair, Ken Wager, George Brown and Ben Schamberg. The property was rented for the first 3 years with the option to buy. George Brown was elected the first Commodore and by the end of the first year, the Club had expanded to 125 members.
Then they began working to put the place in order, for it had no lights, no toilet, and no drinking water. The members worked nights and weekends, more work than boating. By the end of the first season, they had gas lights with bottled gas providing the fuel.
The next year, they bought a portable generator which pumped river water to a big tank near the roof. There was still no heat in the building. Outside, the men improved the property by trimming bushes, building floats and places to anchor them. Dances, clambakes and similar fund-raising activities financed their purchases of equipment and materials. By the end of the second season, the group was functioning as a boat club.
In 1955, wives of some of the members formed an Auxiliary with Mrs. Ben Schamberg as their first President.
In January of 1956, the property was purchased for $5,000.
On Dec. 14, 1957, the historical building burnt to the ground despite the efforts of the local firefighters and Commodore James Bowen vowed to rebuild.
The new Clubhouse was rebuilt by Hess of Staatsburg, costing approximately $50,000 included a new fireplace, a bar, an updated kitchen, and a covered porch. An Open House celebration, under Commodore Clayton Johnson, was publicly held on Sept. 20, 1958, which included dinner, square dancing and a performance by the Reylea Water-Ski Team of Highland, New York.
With the popularity of boating growing each year, new float facilities were build and picnic areas were improved. However, enjoyment of the new clubhouse and grounds were short lived. A fire of undetermined origin completely destroyed the Clubhouse during the night of June 13, 1960 causing about $50,000 in damages.
A scheduled Open House celebration for the public was heroically held on June 17 and 18,1960. A "portion" dinner served by the Ladies Auxiliary, door prizes, free boat rides and "Dancing under the Stars" on the only thing remaining, the cleaned up cement floor took place despite the lack of a Clubhouse.
Then, Commodore Howell Robinson appointed both a Fund Raising and a Building Committee and plans were underway to rebuild a "fireproof", all metal and cement block building.
On June 15, 1962, Rogers Point held yet another Open House to celebrate it's newest Clubhouse which featured free boat rides, horseshoe pitching contests and a variety of games. A portion dinner was served with dancing til 1am with music by the Fred Kimlin's Orchestra.
On October 16, 1962, Rogers marked their 10 year anniversary with a dance party with music furnished by the Rhythm Rockers.
To date, the Rogers Point Boating Association, continues the founding father's legacy by keeping the club expenses covered by fundraising events and members' hours preformed duties. The raffles, Clambake and member generated fundraisers will continue to remain keeping "Our Club" affordable for it's members.
Members...PLEASE email me your knowledge as this is a work in progress.... Thanks!
When ice boat racing prevailed on the Hudson River, the "Jack Frost", world famous trophy-winning boat, was kept by Colonel Archibald Rogers in his boathouse on the Point. A legend and landmark of more than 50 years was that edifice, when it was finally purchased by the Rogers Point Boating Association.